7 pm, Wednesday, November 18, 2020
2740 Providence Street (back patio), Fort Myers – home of Ann Martindale & Steve Jacobs
Present in-person: Caitie Eck, Michelle Nugent, Sheila Pastor, Ann Martindale, Artis Henderson, Terry Leary, Rick Janis
Present on Zoom: Paul Barnett, Sara Goldstein, Donna Ellswick, John Paul, Lewis Fort, Gary and Cathryn Eck, Ellen Evans Sweny, Sara Keilty, Steven Crabtreee
- Call to Order by the President – Caitie Eck
- Report of the Nominating Committee –Ann Martindale & Sheila Pastor.
- Proposed Directors: Caitlin Eck, Donna Ellswick, Artis Henderson, Rick Janis, Terry Leary, Ann Martindale, Brad McGrath (Historic Preservation Commission representative), Michelle Nugent and Sheila Pastor.
- Proposed Officers: President-Michelle Nugent, Vice President-Sheila Pastor, Secretary-Artis Henderson, Treasurer-Ann Martindale
- Proposed Honorary Directors: Pearl Moulton (2013), Tom Veal (2014), Jordan Parrott 2018)
- Election of Directors by 2020-2021 Board of Directors. Everyone in favor. No objections.
- Election of Officers by Newly Elected Board of Directors. Everyone in favor. No objections.
- Approval of minutes of meeting of last meeting (Nov. 23, 2019) Unanimous approval.
- President’s Report – Caitie Eck. The 2020 house tour was cancelled. Dean Park will host a Holiday Stroll in December 2020.
- Treasurer’s Report – Ann Martindale. Financial Report on Past Fiscal Year (Sept. 1, 2019 – August 31, 2020). Checking Account balance – $2,287.38, Savings Account balance – $5,784.06, PayPal balance – $346.35 (includes 6 tickets/$120 for Dec. 5th tour), Donations – $2,190 from 29 donors.
- Financial Report on Current Fiscal Year (Sept. 1, 2020 to date): Checking Account balance – $1,639.64, Savings Account balance – $5,783.96, PayPal balance – $305.15, Donations – $200 to date.
- Report of Historic Preservation Commission Representative – Brad McGrath. Brad McGrath was not present. We will ask him to send a report via email.
- Old Business:
- Update on Dean Park Historic House Tour – postponed (Sheila). The House Tour was scheduled for March 2020 in celebration of Dean Park’s 100th anniversary. Sadly, it was postponed until December 5 because of COVID. By October 1, the COVID threat continued, so the House Tour was cancelled indefinitely. We will keep it top-of-mind as we move forward.
- Status of 2-way streets for First Street and Second Street (Michelle). Winter of 2020, the contractors will begin getting it ready. In spring 2021, the lane conversation will begin. Michelle will contact Johnny Streets about virtually attending our next meeting to explain what’s going on.
- Landscaping Committee (Michelle, Donna, John Paul, Barry Starke, Bob & Judith Andrews) re city-owned parcels within Dean Park. The committee has not done anything. The City has worked on the triangle in anticipation of the Holiday Stroll. (1) Florida Wildflower Foundation grants up to $3,000 (Sara Goldstein). Sara mentioned a grant from the Florida Wildflower Foundation. A percentage has to be spent on native plants. Sara would work on grant application with Barry Starke.
- Community maintenance (1543 Evans, 2625-27 Michigan, 2635 Michigan) (Ann). There are at least three yards that look terrible. Ann submitted a request to public works, but she has a feeling that they’re waiting to get the road work on Evans done first. We want everything in ship- shape for the Holiday Stroll. Ann will address that in the fundraising letter, and Michelle will send out an email.
- Warehouse property – 2801 Michigan – PWFTM LLC owner. Ann reported that she sent an email to Nicole Devaughn asking about a change in permits. She heard nothing back. The warehouse still has the same owner.
- Status of Dean Park website, deanpark.org (Ann, Rick). Ann will upgrade it to show new walking tour event. People can email Ann updated photos of their homes for the website.
- Other old business: Michelle: Dean Park has a book club. It’s open to anyone. Contact her if you’re interested in joining.
- New Business:
- Holiday Decorations at the Triangle – weekend of Nov. 28-29 (Rick Janis). We’re all set. Rick has a lift lined up to help with palm tree and flagpole decorations. Bob and Judith will work on lamp posts. Paul Barnett has volunteered to take over Christmas balls. We’ll put out luminaries and blanket lights on shrubbery. All 10 palm trees will be lit up this year. We request that all neighbors participate in lighting up their individual houses.
- Holiday Stroll – 9 am to 9 pm daily, Dec. 5-25, 2020 (Sheila & Ann). It’s a self-guided walking tour. No congregating. Posters are throughout the city promoting the event. Ann has sent out a press release. Good feedback from Florida Weekly and Naples Daily News. Ann has four-page brochure with pictures of homes and history to go in Triangle. She has printed 1,000 of them. We will hire a company to build a box to go in the Triangle and hold the maps. For the color, we will use the same green background and white lettering used on the Dean Park signs.
- Other Dean Park Events (Artis). We will check in during March 2021 to see the state of the pandemic and perhaps have a get-together.
- Regular Meeting Date? (second or third Wednesday evening?) Discussion of whether it’s needed. We’ll set the next meeting date, and then decide at that meeting about the following meeting date.
- Walking Tour Map – permanently available at the Triangle?
- Other new business: No new business
- Proposed Budget for 2020-2021 will be sent by email and adopted at next meeting
- Set next meeting date: January 13, 2021, 7 p.m.